The Lima Rescue Mission was founded November 1, 1906 by Rev. Adam Welty, and incorporated in 1914. The first mission was located on the same block as the mission today. In 1914, money was raised for the down payment for the land where the Lima Rescue Mission now sits. In 1920, the mission moved in to its new facilities, where we are currently located.
The children's ministries started early on and have expanded since their beginnings. In 1974, a bequest made the purchase of 54 acres of land in Shawnee Township possible. Summer day camp is held at this facility, containing a lodge, chapel, pool, basketball court and wooded area. Other events are also held at Camp Roberts throughout the year.
There have been only three directors in the Mission's 100+ year history. They are Adam Welty, Founder and Director from 1906-1952, Director Emeritus 1952-1955; James Welty, Director from 1952-1998, Director Emeritus 1998-2002; and Chuck Ferguson, Director from 1998-current.